Bermuda Car Rental and
Car Hire Services
When we came to Bermuda for the first time, we noticed that there was not a single Bermuda car rental or a car hire service on the island. There is none even till date.
Don't get a shock! That's because car rental in the island is not allowed by the Bermuda Government.
Well, that sounds absurd and frustrating, isn't it? So how do you then get around the island with some privacy and flexibility? Well, initially we too reacted the same way as we frantically searched for a private car hire service in Bermuda.
So why did the Government disallow the car rentals in Bermuda in the first place?
Well this tiny 21 square mile island by itself has around 65,000 residents. And every year, the visiting tourists swell this population by about 10 times. Which means that about 600,000 tourists visit Bermuda every year. So imagine if most of them had rented a car. Would there be space left to move around? What would be the level of pollution? The roads in Bermuda are quite narrow and winding, and often take sharp bends. What would be the risk to others on the road?
As we kept coming to Bermuda over and over again, we have come to realize that having no rental cars in Bermuda is actually a blessing in disguise.
So, no Bermuda car rental! Then what are the next best options?
Here are all the best alternatives to Bermuda car hire & rental services:
1) If you can ride a moped or a scooter, this can give you all the freedom you are looking for. You will find these two wheelers for rent virtually at every corner. Some scooter rental agencies can also deliver the scooters or mopeds at your cruise ship or hotel. Check out my section on Bermuda Scooter Rentals
to know about the best agencies.
2) If scooter is not for you, there are fairly large number of Bermuda taxis that are available for private transportation. They are particularly useful if you plan to take a drop at the airport or come back to the cruise terminal late at night.
3) Also, most of the taxi drivers in Bermuda are well trained guides. There are Blue Flag taxis in Bermuda whose drivers are government certified tour guides. So, if you want to hire a taxi for going around the island, that's perfectly doable and can easily substitute a car rental for a private tour of the island. Check out my section on Bermuda Taxis
to know about the best taxi services and taxi tour operators in the island.
4) If your plan is to take some private or shared Bermuda tours by road, there are some more great options available. Some tour operators provide private vans or mini buses with drivers and ensure exclusivity. However, your group size in general need to be six or more. And there are some operators who provide guided tours on shared mini buses while offering reasonable privacy. Check out Bermuda Tours By Bus & Road Vehicles
to know about such options.
5) Well if you don't care much for privacy, Bermuda bus service is excellent and quite comfortable. There are 11 bus routes that virtually cover all the nooks and crannies of the island. And you can buy transport passes (1-day, 2-day etc) to hop on and off any bus any number of times. Get all the details from this link Bermuda Bus Service
6) There are some places you can reach more conveniently and faster by a public ferry rather than by any other transport. There are several ferry routes that connect most of the important places of the island with Hamilton City. And the same transport passes (as in case of buses) hold good for the ferries as well. Ferries not only provide a convenient way to move from one place to the other, the rides along the harbor and other water areas are scenic and offer a great view of the shorelines. If you want to enjoy the north shore from Bermuda waters, ferry is an excellent option. Visit Bermuda Ferry
to know about the details of Bermuda's ferry services.
Visitors' Reviews & Comments