Sunk in Bermuda Waters on Jan 16, 1940
This 385-foot Greek cargo steamer was another victim of World War II. The British had blacked out the lighthouse in a bid to stop the Germans from spying on Bermuda. The captain Janis Valikos had a perfect record, had sailed past Bermuda many times, and was only months away from retirement. He was making one of his last journeys as a captain from West Africa to Baltimore in 1940, carrying cargo of iron ore.
Without the lighthouse to guide him he couldn't find the island until he struck the reef off St. David's Head. The Pelinaion was a large cargo steamer, 385 feet long with a 50 feet beam and a displacement of 4,291 tons. She was built at Port Glasgow in 1907, but her ownership changed numerous times before she was purchased by a Greek shipping company and given her present name in 1939.
The shipwreck is split into two sections. The bow lies on the reef at a depth of 30 feet and the stern is in the sand at 70 feet. She is an awesome sight because of her large size and massive parts. Most noticeable are the ship's giant steam boilers, huge triple expansion engine standing upright and a spare propeller strapped to her deck.
The surrounding reef is riddled with tunnels and caves. Often big schools of Grunts and Snappers are seen here, as are Barracuda and Blue Angel Fish. Swim under the mid section and view this massive ship from underneath. It's very easy to become disorientated here due to the overall massiveness of the wreck.
Check shipwreck map
to get an idea about the location of this wreck in Atlantic.
1) Visit Famous Bermuda Shipwrecks
to know about amazing stories of many other famous ships that were wrecked in Bermuda waters.